Monday, September 21, 2015

Hanging with the Buffies

The buff-breasted sandpipers that I first found on Sunday, Sept. 13 on Hutchinson Island were still around as of Sunday, Sept. 20th. I went back looking to get some better photos on Saturday am and had no luck. The birds (now up to 8!) seem to fly back and forth between the fields at the Reserve and the nearby greens of the golf course.

Sunday morning I returned and got distant looks of the birds on the golf course. Russ Wigh was there bragging about how he had just been photographing the birds in the Reserve, and that they had returned when I had to leave for Church! Argh.

I went back after Church. It was then hot and still with nothing much going on. Put persistence pays off. I finally found not one or two but all eight buff-breasted sandpipers feeding along the edge of one of the roads. The mid-day light was a bit harsh and I couldn't avoid some back lighting. Still, it was wonderful to spend an hour and a half of quality time studying these beautiful birds.
Six of the eight Buff-breasted Sandpipers
A quartet of Buff-breasted Sandpipers
It takes two to Tango!
Look who snuck in! The numbers of pectoral sandpipers were down from the previous week.
Pectoral Sandpiper
Buff-breasted Sandpiper strikes a pose

It was hot! Lots of posing with open mouth.

Check out my patterned back!
The other interesting sighting from Sunday morning was a pair of Red-tailed Hawks hanging out together.

A pair of Red-tailed Hawks survey the scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment