Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Yet another windy day on Tybee Island

Well, once again I made the trek out to the point on Tybee North Beach with my friend Russ Wigh. Russ was in search of a Purple Sandpiper. The birds were all huddled up in tight groups facing into the 20 mph northeast wind.

At first, we saw a group of Ruddy Turnstones, Dunlins and Sanderlings, but no Purple Sandpiper.
We inspected American Oystercatchers for bands (found Yellow N4, Yellow W4 & Black UO).

Just as we decided to stop fighting the wind and head back, I glanced at a group of small shorebirds that had been startled out of their huddle. Their it was - a lone Purple Sandpiper!
Ruddy Turnstone & Purple Sandpiper

How many species do you see?

By the jetties, we found nothing but Double-crested Cormorants, Brown Pelicans and the usual gulls.

Russ and I went on to Ft. Pulaski where I suggested we check the picnic area for Brown Creeper. I played the call and we heard a high-pitched response. Soon Russ spotted the creeper doing its thing on a pine tree above us. Later I found that there were 2 Brown Creepers in the neighborhood.

Brown Creeper well camouflaged

Creeping upside down
Other treats at Fort Pulaski: a Loggerhead Shrike and a flock of Eastern Meadowlarks. Not bad for a blustery day!
Loggerhead Shrike

Eastern Meadowlark

No comments:

Post a Comment